Here are some items that were mentioned during the 19 September 2013 Fieldstone Common interview with Kenneth W. Milano about his book The Philadelphia Nativist Riots: Irish Kensington.
The Philadelphia Nativist Riots, published by the History Press, is available for purchase from Amazon.com and other booksellers.
The Nativists were an anti-immigrant group in mid 19th-century America who particularly channeled their hostility against Irish Catholic immigrants. In Philadelphia in 1844 that hostility erupted into a 3 day riot in the Kensington section of the city.
You can learn more about Ken at his website.
Kenneth Milano has written six books including:
- The Philadelphia Nativist Riots: Irish Kensington Erupts (History Press, 2013)
- Palmer Cemetery and the Historic Burial Grounds of Kensington & Fishtown (History Press, 2011)
- Hidden History of Kensington & Fishtown (History Press, 2010)
- The History of Penn Treaty Park (History Press, 2009 )
- The History of the Kensington Soup Society, 1844-2008 (History Press, 2009)
- Remembering Kensington & Fishtown Philadelphia’s Riverward Neighborhoods (History Press, 2008)
In addition to being an author, Ken Milano is also a professional genealogist who focuses on Philadelphia. If you have ancestors from the Philadelphia area you can contact Ken for more information from his website.
The History Press, the publisher of all of Ken’s books, donated two copies of The Philadelphia Nativist Riots which were provided as giveaways during the live show to listeners in Michigan and New Hampshire. A big thank you to the History Press for their generosity.